Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving

Because of where we've been, I am hesitant to post positive progress until it has gone on for a significant amount of time.  I would say things were good and all too quickly they would go south.  But tonight's sermon has encouraged me to be thankful for how Alex is feeling today. 

Around the time of my last post, Alex's choking when eating was transitioning to constantly clearing his throat with every bite.  It became so bad that if we were out eating, people would just stare at us the entire meal.  Also at this time, his sleep began to really deteriorate. He would either be up all night, or if he did sleep, he'd be completely exhausted the next day.  His quality of life was becoming really poor.  So, I put a call into the ENT and early December was the earliest appointment we could get. 

Well, a week and a half ago, the throat clearing completely stopped.  It wasn't a gradual lessening, but literally overnight.  He has had one meal since then, during which he had a little difficulty, and that's it. 

I knew when I made the appointment that the ENT was going to want to send him for a sleep study.  We had discussed it at the last appointment, and sleep apnea has long been speculated.  I had been reading and thinking and trying to figure out what else could be causing his sleep trouble, when I decided to alter his dosing schedule for his meds.  The first change I made caused things to go very, very badly.  But that was also encouraging because it backed up my theory that they may be related.  The second change has been going very, very well.  It's only been 3 days, which is nothing in the grand scheme of it all.  But today I am very thankful for 3 happy days with my son, for him feeling well and being able to enjoy his life. 

I don't know how things will go or when some new symptom or trouble will pop up, but for today I am extremely thankful for his smiling face and happy heart.  We are so very, very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment